Sunday 31 January 2010

Started Work on Piece for Space Craft 'Inspired By' Exhibition




I've started work today on a piece of work for an exhibition coming up in the Space Craft Gallery in Belfast. Work has to be submitted by Monday 8th February. All work will be judged and short listed to go into the exhibition.

My inspiration has come from an exhibit of fossilised ammonites that was in the natural history section of the Ulster Museum.
Today I made a mould of my interpretation of the ammonite fossils I saw using a small collection of ammonites that I have collected over the years. I started by rolling a slab of clay into a rough square and then pushed the ammonites into it at different depths and angles.

I then made a mould of this which, once dry will allow me to fuse glass into it and take up the shapes of the ammonites. I just need it to dry out for a day or two before firing it in the kiln before placing the glass in to fuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment