Thursday 10 December 2009

Kiln Fairies


I didn't get time to do a posting yesterday as was out with the kids last night Christmas Shopping.

I had a bit of a disaster with kiln fairies with my last batch of fused jewellery in the kiln. It is the kiln fairies that get blamed for anything that doesn't go to plan in the kiln during the firing cycle. This can be glass that moves, things that happen to the glass which isn't expected or can't be explained.

I had a few pieces that moved, a few that expanded bigger than I had anticipated so that the silver wire I had used as a finding fused into the glass as well as it changing colour which hadn't happened to me before.

But all was not lost and by thinking outside the box I managed to cut them and adapt them into earrings with a little cold work. I then re-fired them in the kiln last night to fire polish the glass, so hopefully nothing was lost and only a little waste.

Have acquired a display cabinet in a local hotel to display and sell some of my work so will busy getting that set up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment