Sunday 13 December 2009

The Kiln Fairies Strike Again!


I had a suprise when I opened the kiln yesterday morning. I had put some coasters in to fuse as well as some stars, which I have done so many times before, but when I inspected these they had yellow marks on them just like if I had painted silver stain on them.

So how could this happen? Then I remembered I had fired some jewellery which I had made some loops out of sterling silver. The silver had left a residue on the kiln paper where they touched it, but must have also effected the kiln wash underneath. This was obviously silver nitrate which is silver stain.

What cleaver fairies I have, if I had tried to make it I most probably couldn't. That's what I like about working with glass, you learn something new every day!

Just need to sand all the kiln shelves now and batt wash them again before starting again. It's the only way I can guarantee not contaminating anything again. What joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment