Thursday 24 June 2010

When It Goes Wrong it Goes Really Wrong


When things go wrong the the studio they can go really wrong. I was attempting to make a few fused glass bowl, which involves a two stage process. Nothing really hard about that and a process I have done quite a few times before. So glass was cut and cleaned and placed on the kiln shelves and placed in the kiln to fire.

On opening the kiln the following morning all seemed well but when I removed the 1st kiln shelf I was greeted with two fused circles that had totally cracked. The only explanation to this was, there could not have been enough kiln separator on the shelves and the glass had stuck to the shelves. A very costly mistake to make and one that shouldn't have happened. I know I prepared the shelves really well and had also pre-fired them.

I just wish I had gone with my gut instinct and lined them with thin fire fibre paper. My gut instinct has been letting me down a lot recently. Needless to say I have also changed my brand of kiln separator too!

No comments:

Post a Comment